Everyone uses energy and consumes a variety of materials in everyday life. Unfortunately, this inflicts considerable harm upon our environment and makes our society unsustainable. The good news is that we all can work to improve the situation by taking a few relatively simple steps.
1. Try to avoid instant meals that come in shrink-wrapped foam or plastic containers. You can find greener ways to cut the number of dishes that you need to wash, such as using the same mug for cereal and coffee.
2. Purchase food in bigger quantities. When compared to multiple smaller products, large items normally come in packages that contain less cardboard and plastic. Fresh vegetables and fruits often have little packaging as well.
3. Think twice before buying devices that continually draw power, such as wall clocks or digital picture frames. Avoid smartphone-activated appliances; they constantly connect to the Internet and never stop consuming electricity.
4. When you want to purchase appliances or electronics, look for units that don’t have remote controls or built-in clocks. These models are more sustainable because they generally last longer and need less energy. They’re also less likely to require batteries.
5. If a food scrap or container has a strong odor even after you rinse it, keep it in the freezer until your kitchen wastebasket is nearly full. This will help you conserve garbage bags because you won’t have to take the trash out as often.
6. Use natural cleaning supplies when possible. Unlike foam products, cellulose sponges are biodegradable and come from renewable resources. You can also protect the ecosystem by replacing most synthetic cleaning sprays with a mixture of water and vinegar.
These tips highlight the fact that sustainability doesn’t have to be costly. Most of this advice actually reduces living expenses too. In addition to minimizing environmental harm, a more sustainable home will benefit your health and help to ensure that future generations can enjoy life on this planet.
At The Eco Laundry Company, we take actionable steps each and every day to ensure we’re also reducing our carbon footprint.
Are you interested in joining the movement? Learn more about our franchise opportunity and how you can launch a business that positively impacts our environment.